Thursday, January 27, 2022

The possessed horse

I am going to Maui and Molokai at the end of July so I have been looking through travel guidebooks and visiting internet sites to look at interesting activities to occupy my time while I'm there. I love horseback riding and have spotted several rides that sound amazing. One in particular stands out; it visits an ancient Hawaiian temple. I am facinated by ruins and architecture of all kinds so this is very exciting to me (it's a must for this trip). I also love horses. They have been a part of my life for a long time. My uncle had a farm when I was young and I spent many afternoons riding bareback through his fields. His horses were gentle and easily managed. I never remember feeling fear in their presence. In fact, I have only come across one horse in my lifetime that truly seemed to hate my guts! Several years ago in Mexico, I was visiting a local cultural/theme park called Xcaret. It is located about 40 min south of Cancun. It is basically a park that explores Mayan history through a series of presentations, games, shows and other entertainment. It was around noon and very hot so my guy and I found a shady place to have lunch. I loved this spot because it was next to a corral full of horses that I wanted to look at while we ate. I asked to sit near the open, railed side so that I could get a good view of these magnificent animals. We sat down and ordered some drinks and proceeded to talk about the days adventures. Just as our appetizers arrived I heard loud galloping coming toward us; a crazy, possesed or demonic horse (I'm not sure which) decided to gallop straight at us then swing in a wide arc so that we got buried in damp dirt! It was in my hair, on my clothes, on our food...a few people were brave enough to laugh with us but most of the lunch crowd just wanted to move as far away from that side of the room as they could get! Did this horse have a fear of pale, blonde women? Did he recognize me from some past life? Did he just hate me on site? I wish I could ask him because, in spite of the mud bath, he made the day memorable and fun because he had guts and style. Hey, maybe we could be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment