Thursday, January 27, 2022

Jamaican Voodoo Giraffes


I have been doing some spring cleaning (yes it's tedious and gross, but kind of fun too). I decided to clean all the decorative stuff on my shelves. The fun part is remembering where you got each thing, from who, etc...I took down these giraffes; I'm really kind of scared of them and I'll tell you why. I think they've been cursed by a Jamaican voodoo priestess! I'm sure you're probably thinking to yourself, ok another nutcase (I would be) but let me tell you the story.
Have you ever been shopping in Jamaica? It's not really much fun, or at least not for me. I climbed the Dunn's River Waterfall (you know the one where you hold hands and try to balance on slippery rocks) and I wanted to look at the souvenirs before getting back on the tour bus; big mistake!
I felt like if I didn't buy something one of the shop owners might start sticking pins in a blond doll when I turned my back. They are not a happy looking bunch! Anyway, in spite of this, I found these very cute giraffes, bought them and tried to stuff them in my suitcase.
When I got home I stuck them up on a shelf and didn't think too much about them for about two months.
One morning I noticed that instead of their heads facing the same direction (their eyes looking out the window) they were now facing each other. Well, at first I thought maybe one of the kids was playing a joke on me but they are up so high I really don't think that's the case. Of coarse it could be that the arid environment in Utah contributed to drying out the wood thus causing it to twist but I like the voodoo story better, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment