Sunday, November 8, 2020

Reflecting on a Landmark Election

Tears were actually streaming down my face as I listened to Biden and Harris speak to the nation for the first time. They were tears of gratitude. Gratitude to my fellow Americans, who it seems, still believe in democracy, still believe that their voices and actions matter and have finally said, "enough."

I realize that there are many people who have a different opinion at this moment in time. They have that right. I have good friends who cast their votes differently than mine. I still love them. I think this blog is for them to let them know we need them. We need their strength, talents and skill to put this country back together. Half of us can't do it. It will take our united strength and courage to heal the rift that threatens to divide us forever.

That's where Biden and Harris come in. There are those who say he's an old man who can barely keep his thoughts in line enough to construct full sentences, and he is old, but this is what I see. I see a man who is humble enough to realize that he does not have all of the answers so he surrounds himself with people who have knowledge, strength and courage and he listens to them, really listens, values their opinions, and that's the key. The key is listening to and believing in each other.  

Americans need to believe that "we" have the power to overcome the ills that plague our country. That "we" have the power in our own hands to lift each other up, to practice kindness and compassion, to practice "we" instead of "me." We have that power and now we have leaders who will help us find our way down the path, if we will only choose it.

Please join me, in every way that is available to you, to helping make all of our lives better. Maybe you walk dogs at a shelter, or serve in a soup kitchen, or coach a kids soccer team and teach kids what good sportsmanship looks like. Maybe you build houses for the poor, or extend the time your renters have to get their rent in this month. Maybe you post positive things to social media, or you teach your children to be kind and compassionate. Do whatever you can do my friends. Each act of kindness has a ripple effect spreading out and encouraging others. That ripple eventually becomes a wave. The wave of change.

As I reflect on the speeches I heard last night, I heard a lot of "we." Our leaders believe in you. They believe that all of "us" together can make this country a home. A home we can all be proud of. They were also asking for your help. They know that no man (or woman) can do it alone. They know they need us and that is why I believe we need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment