Thursday, November 5, 2020

The Magic Wand...


I'm off to attend meetings at the American Library Associations annual conference which is being held in Anaheim this summer. I'm in charge of a program this year which means I decide the theme, find a speaker, and direct a group of people so that it all comes together on Sunday, June 29th. This year's theme is "keeping the magic alive." I decided on it because so often we (all of us) lose the spark that makes us fun, interesting people. We lose our creativity and we forget to be supportive...so this session aims at restoring some of that. I'll share with you the story that started it all.

Several years ago my mentor/boss/friend and I were surprised by the first snowfall of the season as we prepared to leave work. We had both recently bought new SUVs and hadn't thought to put scrapers (to remove ice and snow) in them yet. She began rummaging through her car and emerged with her 6 year olds magic princess wand. She said, "I bet this will make a good scraper!" I had my doubts but it actually worked pretty well. We both cleaned our windows off and made it safely home.

This was such a unique and creative incident that I have shared it with friends many times and I think of her and the magic wand each time it snows.

A little over a year ago we both decided to leave the university and go our seperate ways...the day I left she left the magic wand under my windshield wiper with this note - - your gonna need this! It sits on my desk, in my new office, to remind me to keep that spark of creativity alive and to be supportive of others. It helps me retain the magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment